RCU Forums - View Single Post - keeping cool
Thread: keeping cool
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeping cool

im gonna build a Magnum with a MVVS GRRT rear induction rear exhaust, which i entend to enclose as much as possible
The tank bay will have a floor fitted under the small turtle deck so the pipe starts in there, then enters the larger Fiberglass canopy area which is separated from the rest of the plane, then exits just behind the high point.
I'm not sure how much of the engine i will be able to cowl in, i don't want to spoil the looks with a lump where the engine is but I'm guessing only the top 1/2" will be showing.
This should keep the head coolish, but what about the crank and middle .
There will be a hole on the bottom of the plane in front of the firewall to get at the carb with a finger for priming and stopping if necessary ( any special shape it should be to let air into the carb not scavenge it out? )
If I make the nose ring with a large inner hole the air should be able to flow in here if it wants maybe, the prop hub might even serve to force air in, i don't know... but with a couple of small forced air holes would this be enough to push the air around the engine, through the small turtle deck area and into the canopy?
I know warm air is fussy and wont just let the cold air in.
Where would exit holes be best placed here and what shape again to aid suction.
With the GRRT being a bit longer than normal the whole front end of the Magnum will be re-designed and i might as well incorporate as much cooling help as i can.
Thanks, Phil