RCU Forums - View Single Post - Richard Barron admirer.
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 09:33 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Richard Barron admirer.

I'm building the Stearman right now. Made copies of the originals so I could glue over the copies.

I'll say one thing - a dowel structure is VERY interesting to put together. Not a lot harder than balsa (except to sand). I agree with the 1/4 " music wire comment too. That, together with the use of extension springs to make the oleos was pretty much a challenge, since the vice I used is 40 miles away (round trip). Then there was the expression on the LHS guy's face when I wanted 6" scale wheels.

Firewall to first former made it necessary to use 2 8 oz tanks to feed the engine. Built in a platform to hold them and once the planking is on, there're in there for good! I also put in 3 x 5/16" sections of allthread with nylon lock nuts between the firewall and the first former. Couldn't get the dowels to bend 25 degrees and stay on the edge of the firewall. Easier to put in the steel rods, then cut the dowels to relieve the stress, epoxy them to the firewall and glue the relief cuts.

Right now I'm making the brass brackets for all the flying/drag/support wires. Learning to be a tinsmith too!

For the wires, I'll probably use Nelson's streamlined wire.

Got a Hazel Sig torso to put in the cockpit - very detailed and realistic with all the pieces put on.