RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 150 Review/Conversion
Old 02-16-2007, 04:05 PM
wollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 150 Review/Conversion

ORIGINAL: Gordon W

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey
I will be replacing the 4.8v 1100mAh NiCD receiver battery with two [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ubec.htm]Ultimate BECs[/link] from Hobby Lobby.
Hi Greg

Checking the specs of the UBEC, the max input voltages for the various types are 35V, 40V and 45V. The off-load voltage of a 12s lipo could be as high as 50.4V, so isn't there a potential problem here?

Or will you power the UBECs from one 6s pack, presumably the one that has its -ve terminal connected to the RX?

Cheers

Gordon

Hey Gordon,

I can't presume to be able to answer for Greg but what I think he's doing is setting up two UBEC's in series so as to get the voltage capability. I only say this because I had a situation where I was concerned that my UBEC wouldn't be able to handle the amp draws of my high torque digital servos and I was advised by Jeff at Koolflight that I should consider a parallel UBEC setup for redundancy, lots of current capacity and peace of mind.

With this in mind I guess two UBECs could be set up in series to cater for higher voltage requirements.

Just my 2 cents!

Colin.