RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 150 Review/Conversion
Old 02-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 150 Review/Conversion

Hi Colin,

I am doing the same thing that you described. In some cases, I make an extension cable for the power lines with Dean's Ultra connectors on both ends. Other times, I simply solder longer wires onto the power lines and then shrink wrap the bare wire.

In addition to front end ESC cooling, it is best to keep the three wires between the motor and ESC as short as possible because they are high power noise radiators. The peak power on these 3-phase AC lines can be very high.

Another problem with large scale models is the lack of access to the battery packs. Once the wing is installed, the packs are often sealed up for the flight. In the past, I have used various techniques to work around the problem as I prefer to keep the wing on for a day at the flying field.

On my P-51D review, I will be introducing a new part called the 6970 Arming Switch from [link=http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html#arming]MPI[/link]. In addition to adding safety by keeping your motor disarmed until you reach the flightline, it allows you to easily disconnect the ESC to recharge batteries in the plane as long as you use a balancing charger. When using two packs in series, you can also use an Arming Switch to disconnect the two packs so that they can be charged at the same time (by separate chargers) without a ground fault issue. Simply install the receptacle to the fuselage side and connect it in-between the battery and ESC.

I'll descibe this in more detail when I get to that part of the assembly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77462.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	624055