RCU Forums - View Single Post - Points worth Consideration:
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 04:56 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Points worth Consideration:

I believe there is high time for a discussion on modernizing AMA. Technology is outpacing the organization. The growth of electrics and parkfliers just in the last 3 years has been astounding. A few years ago, my tower magazine had electrics buried halfway into it and thee was only 1 or 2 pages. Now thee are sometimes more electric pages than glo, and they are commonly on the front page. In my area, electric flyers number moe than gas or glo combined. Some way we have to make the "sale" that these people need the AMA. The insurance is important, but representation is just as important. Now with the next leap in technology, spread spektrum radios, you no longer need frequency control, thus undermining the need for clubs. I believe an electric only membership with a speed and or weight limitation, at a reduced cost, maybe even without a magazine, is an exellent idea. Quite possibly, the promotion of electric only club charters.
The AMA has no choice but to go this direction, obviously the e-ticket issue is/was far from dead. $58 is too much for these new guys coming in and the ones leaving. Most new e-flyers coming into the hobby have no reason to join the AMA, just like you said, they have to be lured in and a price reduction just for them is the lure they need. Then hopefully one day they move up to the full deal, they will have a choice. The e-flyers are flocking to the stores buying their stuff. When was the last time you saw Radio Shack carry 6 different e-helis, never, until now. Same with Target and Wallyworld. The AMA was real close with the original proposal for the e-ticket but put on the table for people who are already members to decide whether it would work or not. Keeping the magazine for e-flyers is a must, just do every other month. People want to belong to some kind of association whether it's club based or not. Give em some kind of deal or incentive and they will come, proven many times over.

Tiered pricing works in every other known market, why wouldn't it work in the AMA? There was a time you coud walk into a McDonalds and only get a burger and fries. But now you have a choice. They realized that they can offer a variety to please more then one crowd. You have to mold with the times AND your market. There is only one person responsible for letting this crowd stroll right by, DB. He's too focused on reaching out to the AARP for more members.