RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Radios and AMA
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Radios and AMA

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

What do the new frequencies and the AMA have to do with each other anyway? The AMA has never been the one to "control" what frequencies we fly on. That's up to the FCC, the users and club members, along with various clubs and contest directors. All anyone really cares about is frequency conflict and the new 2.4 gig frequencies actually make this safer than it has ever been. The AMA does not even insist that people fly at a club site. Only that flying locations meet or exceed basic safety standards.
Well, Ss, everything can be debated via symantics. AMA does in a way CONTROL the freqs. we fly on.

AMA Safety Code:
5. I will operate my model aircraft using only radio-control frequencies currently allowed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Only individuals properly licensed by the FCC are authorized to operate equipment on Amateur Band frequencies.
6. I will not knowingly operate my model aircraft within three (3) miles of any preexisting flying site without a frequency-management agreement. A frequency-management agreement may be an allocation of frequencies for each site, a day-use agreement between sites, or testing which determines that no interference exists. A frequency-management agreement may exist between two or more AMA chartered clubs, AMA clubs and individual AMA members, or individual AMA members. Frequency-management agreements, including an interference test report if the agreement indicates no interference exists, will be signed by all parties and copies provided to AMA Headquarters.

FCC allocates the frequency spectrum allowed for our use, but AMA darn well controls HOW we use it in the field. Even the industry has followed AMA's lead. When FCC allocated the freqs. all 50 were available, the phase-in schedule was strictly AMA. The industry followed AMA's requests. The industry could have sold the other freqs. and probably made it big with non-AMA fliers. Again, CONTROL by leadership recognized by the industry.

People, you really need to get to know what the AMA is actually about. It's not limited to insurance and club sites.
With that I agree. In addition it's past time that AMA has a leader that will see to it that all levels of the media and governmental recreational functions well know what AMA and aeromodeling is about, plus a working EC and staff that focuses on promoting those things that AMA is about. Then and only then can your desire for people to get to know what AMA is really about happen. This is the year to make it happen.