RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Radios and AMA
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 08:33 PM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Radios and AMA

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: whulbert

I think there are close to 800,000 AMA menbers as of the 2007 year and probally half have back orders on some kind of 2.4 gh radio gear like myself. When are we going to get our radios? Warren AMA 788065
If you are talking about the American Medical Association, the American Motorcycle Association, The American Management Association, American Metallurgical Association combined you might make 800,000. But our Academy of Model Aeronautics stands at about 160,000. I seriously doubt any of the other AMAs are really fighting us for Spectra DX-7 radios. In our club in a fairly active modeling zone there are only about a half dozen at most, and no one else is going for them at this time.
Without venturing at this time into the issue of whether it helps or hinders AMA, I do think it helps foster aeromodeling overall. For one thing, if park flyers widely embrace the technology (and it appears they are), it might cause the fears of the old established club denizens over RF interference from them to evaporate and lead to an improvement in relations. Also, in the major city park of a metropolis near where I maintain a domicile, an AMA chartered club threw in the towel and closed after a few years of operation due to RFI that made safe flying impossible. I expect it would still be around if SS R/C gear were available then.

Abel