RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sportsman Aviation Sonic 500 ARF Build
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 04:44 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sportsman Aviation Sonic 500 ARF Build

I stripped all the covering off mine and re-covered it with Solarfilm (had a roll of white kicking around for a couple decades)
Mine is all white, and I'm gonna put wide flourescent green and yellow bands out at the tips of the flying surfaces.

I wrapped a 2" wide band of 6oz. glass cloth around the center section, and put a couple of 12" long x 1/4" wide carbon fiber strips (the iron on .007" thick) across the top and soaked them w/ thin CA to hopefully help the compression strength of the top skin? They are just in front and just behind where the spar joiner is.

I stripped all the covering off because when I removed the small section around the aileron servo mt. the clear seperated from the color!?[:'(] and I figured that I'd better do it now, rather than wait for it to get oil soaked then be a major PIA later. Of course, being a "racing" airplane, it might not live long enough for that to be a problem, but...

Mine has a K&B 6.5 FIRE with an old Newton "muffler" on it...(Bob27s...you know Brad Young, don't ya?)
It's mounted upright, and I put a 3/8" thick piece of soft balsa on the fwd. fuse bottom under the engine, and 1/8" on either side, and am using a TT 1.5" Ultimate shaped spinner. It's got a needle nose now![8D]

Oh yeah, and I clipped the original wing tips off and sanded the ends of the wings at a 30* angle and put winglet style tips made of 1/16" ply on them. The span is now 47.5"