RCU Forums - View Single Post - SuperTigre mid-range problems?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 07:30 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SuperTigre mid-range problems?

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

I thought I would add this, I do own a couple of 2 strokes. I have an Ofna Picco .26 Max in my Revo, and it has to idle pretty fast to be dependable, but it has a clutch that takes alot of rpm to engage it. I also have an OS32 on my helicopter, and it idles well under 2000 rpm and will do it all day. That big ST should be able to idle at 1500 easy with a good carb on it in my opinion, and i've seen lots of other 2 strokes do it very well. Sometimes cheaper is not better...

----------------

There is nothing wrong with ST engines. Just the people that own them that are having problems. They are inexperienced and incompetent. The world did not begin when they were born, contrary to their belief.

Super Tigres are Ferrarri-like, not Chevrolet-like. They need TLC and a knowledgeable owner to come into spec. Beginners should avoid them like the plague.

Buy OS, an engine with built-in training wheels. Until then, more experienced modelers will smile understandingly and know that another newbie is displaying their ignorance when they complain about Super Tigre engines. Even when these engines come up to spec, they are not going to behave like an OS. It is not in their nature. This should be no surprise to anyone that has been in the hobby for longer than six months and who has been going to the field and talking with others.

This post is the result of watching/reading 100's of whiners that are too lazy to break-in their engines properly and then berate the Super Tigre line. A line of champions for so many, many years.

There. I've said it. Buy OS. If you can't run a Tigre, you don't know what you are doing. Stick with an engine that comes equipped with training wheels.

The folks that are selling these engines are not helping any. Tigres run best on 5% or no nitro at all. If they have reengineered the engines in their move to China, it would be nice if they had enough good manners to tell the rest of us. Until that happens, let it be known that more than 5% nitro in these engines ON THE AVERAGE (meaning that with a ganging of tolerances, there can be an occasional engine produced that runs well on 50% nitro) will suffer from midrange stumbles and misery. This is not rocket science. It is nothing new. It has always been this way. Why is this such a puzzlement to some people?

Between newbies with no patience and folks writing up incorrect instruction manuals in order to sell a few more engines, regardless of the consequences to their customers, this ongoing diatribe is getting very, very, very old.

Ed Cregger