RCU Forums - View Single Post - In this hobby what was your favourite moment
Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
sp2pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: In this hobby what was your favourite moment

A dead stick landing from nearly a 1000 feet out from the fields boundry, I had just climbed to about 450 feet and was pulling back the throttle on my 50CC Extra 260. It started dropping and I realized I had no engine, before I actually heard it die, It was so tiny out there and I made myself stay calm and rolled the wings bringing the plane straight towards me. There was a 10 mph wind at my planes back and as I let it nose down a bit to gain some airspeed it practically fellout of the sky, I did not give in to the panic and pull up I just let it continue to fall keeping the wings level and when it was about 80 feet from the ground I gently added elevator and it leveled out 10 feet off the deck and came screaming at me at about 60 mph. I banked to the north and pulled up to about 70 feet and made a nice 270 degree turn rolled level and touched down on the first 10 feet of the runway, I was still rolling at about 25 MPH so I just used the rudder to counter the 90 degree crosswind and let it roll a good 100 feet down the runway before I let the tail wheel touch down. It was beautiful. One of the members of the club had watched the whole thing and said he was holding his breath the entire time. I think I was too.

I was so dang proud of myself