RCU Forums - View Single Post - aerobird mods
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 08:11 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: aerobird mods

Aerobird - Fixing and securing the tail boom

On the Aerobird, Challenger and Xtreme, the tail boom enters the pod then slides into a pinched area and is glued in place. If you crash and hit the plane just right you can break the glue loose causing the tail boom to be loose. If the tail boom breaks loose it can cause several problems:

Tail boom can rotate causing the tail to be misaligned with the wing. This will cause the plane to turn left or right rather than flying straight.

This can also cause the tail boom to shift toward the rear and come out of the pinched area that holds it straight. This will cause the tail to sag resulting in a plan that wants to dive.

Most glues don't stick to the Aerobird's fuselage very well. I have not had much success with using glue to fix or reinforce this area. Before it breaks, consider these reinforcements.

In order to reduce the chance of this area coming loose, when you take your Aerobird out of the box, put a wrap of clear tape around the entry of the tail boom into the fuselage. This will give a little more resistance to twisting or pulling out. But if you crash hard enough this won't prevent the tail boom from coming out.

The second thing you can do is drill a pair of holes just above the tail boom just behind the pinch are and wrap a wire or a tie wrap through that area to again reinforce the tail boom and help it to resist the forces that would bend it down and pull it out. I actually drill it through the boom then put the wire or tie wrap in. This way it actually helps hold the boom from twisting or pulling out. It is easier to do this going through the top of the pinched area but then you will have trouble mounting your X port options that clip into this area.

Finally, some people have put a small screw into the tail boom to secure it. This should work but it also introduces sharp threads that could cut the control lines or the antenna. I don't recommend this, one but it is an option.

All of these methods can be used for repairs as well.