RCU Forums - View Single Post - Good bigenner plane?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 08:09 AM
ozrcboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good bigenner plane?

One of the interesting challenges with three channel planes is making them roll - they can all do it - you just have to figure out how.

An aileron plane might (might!) be okay provided it self corrects otherwise what will probably happen is you will get it up on one side and (despite any actual flying experience) lose orientation, roll in the wrong direction, end up upside down, panic, pull up, and nose in. That's if your brain actually functions during this period - the other thing I often see happen with beginners with aileron planes that don't self correct is a complete brain fart - they've made 3 succesful turns, but as they make their fourth one they realise the ground is now only 10 metres away (because they have lost a ton of altitude on each corner and never got it back), panic, forget which way they turned into the corner (because they don't actually have their orientation figured out - they are remebering the stick input they gave to enter the corner and doing the reverse to get out of the bank) and the plane remains on it's side, getting zero lift until it hits the ground either wing tip, or nose first resulting in a spectacular cartwheeling crash that always leaves something busted.

The three beginner's planes that I know of are Electrafun XP, Hobbyzone Supercub and Multiplex Easystar - there are plenty of others. Three channel probably is best (for the reasons I outlined above). If you want some more of my thoughts ont his stuff I've written some
[link=http://www.oz********.com/2007/03/learning-to-fly-beginners-guide.html]notes for people trying to learn to fly RC by themselves.[/link]

Cheers,
Oz.