RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro models pusher Bobcat?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:11 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

ORIGINAL: Stick Jammer

Other than the whip possibly being a cosmetic choice, I really don't see the advantage. I'd be interested in reading any hard data that proves a whip antenna gets better reception than a properly installed stock wire. I would think that if this were true the radio manufacturers would supply a whip instead. At any rate, I've never had any range problems whatsoever by using the stock antenna on all of my planes including several that are fully concealed within the airframe.
For the best solution a properly installed stock wire should run outside of the plane completely away from internal wires, carbon fiber or batteries. While the range we get using the stock wire, internally, is generally more than enough the best solution is an external solution. The whip adds to this by placing the antenna not only outside of the plane but up and away from it. Do a search on the jet forum and read the research many of those guys have done. There is a reason you see so many whips on top dollar planes. As for this plane, there probably is no need for a whip. I installed one because an external wire can get into the prop and I want removeable wings and didn't feel like threading the wire each time I reassemble.