RCU Forums - View Single Post - Something else to stir the pot:
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Liberator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Something else to stir the pot:

Jug, what the hell does that have to do with anything? DB has never said the things Hoss had about trying to make MA profitable, thus the question to Hoss. I even said that it was ok if not, just don't make the assumption that raising the rates means profitability over night, if ever.

Ptulmer normaly I would not be able to disagree that I was looking for a reason to disagree with Hoss. In this case however, this is some very serious advice.

It is not bologna that advertisers will equate the delivery method with results. In advertising part of what comes with the package is how is the message getting to people? If people seek out the message ie; buy the magazine, there is a perception that they will more frequently buy from that product. The fact that it costs more to advertise in ALL of the other magazines bears this out.
Does that mean rates can't be raised? Of course not, but one must do this in conjunction with other programs that will give the advertiser more chance for success. It is also true that one could make the argument that since all the members of the AMA get the magazine it will not pay to put a message (advertise) in that product. I guarantee that sales people for the other magazines use that as their primary tool for why to spend money with them, versus the MA. Creating disatisfaction with a product is a major tool when selling advertising.

On a side note...I absolutley will look for a reason to disagree with Hoss because frankly it's fun. I don't dislike him. I do think he is rather pompous and does not have it in his nature to get along with people long enough to be effective in this position. That frankly is kind of sad. He obviously has a passion for this stuff and if he could just put the old school bully garbage aside for a while, might be pretty good at it. I fear though that the old line about teaching an old dog new tricks will apply here. Too many years doing stuff the only way which is his way regardless of the frequent fact it may just not be the right way.

Good luck Hoss, I'm still rootin for ya.