RCU Forums - View Single Post - DRATS! I just HATE it when HE's Right!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DRATS! I just HATE it when HE's Right!!!

When a newbie comes to a field, experienced or not, that field is there because of the labors of those before the newbie. IMO, it is the newbie's place to work himself into the group and become a part of the crowd. Other than some friendly help, NO ONE there owes newbie anything until newbie pays his dues by becoming one of the group.

This kind of good ol boy attitude is exactly why many of the newbies and parkflyers want nothing to do with the AMA or its clubs. Joining a club should not involve a test to see if they are somehow worthy of your graces. They already are worthy...they paid their club dues, and are model aviation enthusiasts. Job done. They should be treated with the same respect as any of the existing club members.

It never ceases to amaze me how some AMA members forget that they too were beginners at one time.

Beginners in model aviation have enough to deal with in learning a skillset few have mastered. They dont need the added aggrevation of being chastized or belittled from fellow pilots that should be taking them in with open arms. We are here to promote the hobby, not make new pilots jump through hoops.

I dare anyone at my local field or club to attempt to make one of my student pilots "work" his way into the group. Ill call you out on it. He/She deserves to be there just as much as you do. And I will assist ANY new pilot in ANY way that I can to make sure they keep on flying and having fun with us. You and all the rest of your club OWE everything to the newbie. Without them, this hobby would die.