RCU Forums - View Single Post - Found in the Washington Post
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:56 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Found in the Washington Post

I have noticed four major threats to model aviation.

Development

The American tradition here is centered around the ideal of ''elbow room''. Since the development of the automobile, population density of American cities has gone down. This causes urban/suburban sprawl that eats up land that could be used for other things.

Golf

Around here it costs between $50 and $200 to play 18 holes. One field around here charges $100 a year for membership and a $100 initiation fee. Yet, many modelers will squak like mad over these kind of rates. Well, get a clue. LAND IS VALUABLE. If I have a piece of land with a toy runway that will generate $100/year from 150 model flyers, or the same peice of land with a big lawn, and some trees that will bring in $100/DAY from 100 glofers. . . Well, do the math.

I would gladly pay 20 bucks for a weekend of flying if thats what it takes.

Horses

This is a problem out here in California too. This is one where we will just have to learn to work with these people. First, don't go off thinking anyone can deal with these people. The club needs to have a small group of tactfull club members do deal with the horse people, and keep the hot heads on a short leash. If there is a lawyer in your club, he would be a good candidate.

Wildlife Conservation

I personaly do not mind this. I enjoy hiking in the wilderness too. Like the horse thing, this does not have to kill model aviation. The only thing I have a problem with here is seeing some knucklehead who thinks chasing birds with his model is great fun. Every time I see this I have to cringe. Any one who does this is screaming ''Take my flying field. please!''