RCU Forums - View Single Post - BEST RTF 4C Aileron Trainer - "BUSY BEE"
Old 05-03-2007, 07:42 AM
BosTom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BEST RTF 4C Aileron Trainer - "BUSY BEE"

I got my Busy Bee a few weeks ago. I was told by the manufacturer that Hobby-Lobby will only be distributing the ARF version at this time. The TX/RX came on CH 19. The plane has some minor issues:

1. My Busy Bee is very nose heavy and thus far I have not been able to properly trim the plane nor take off from the ground (I fly out off a grass field/runway). I need to re-balance the plane and maybe move things around a bit.

2. The plane is very underpowered with the current 2 cell Lipo + 15A ESC + the TowerPro 2408-21T-3A brushless outrunner + the stock prop.

3. The stock prop is not a full 8x6 propeller. It seems that the tips have been trimmend. Replacing the prop with a true 8x6 slow flyer prop will instantly give you more thrust and better stability in the air.

4. The wiring: ESC + extension + battery is a combo of different gauges - from 16gauge to servo wires to 20 gauge. I ended up replacing the battery connectors with Dean connectors, and I also replaced the extension with 18 gauge wires. This also instantly contributed to an increase in power.

5. I still haven't been able to obtain the technical specs of the ESC in order to see if it supports a 3 cell LiPo. I did run a small test with a 3 cell LiPo. The timing was off and the motor hesitated to start. With a liltle help with my finger (not recommended) or after a few seconds the prop spun. At full throttle it had the power I was looking for. From the motor specs, I know the brushless supports 3 cell lipos. Therefore, I will replace the ESC and fly the plane with the 3 cell LiPo batteries moving forward. As I am doing these improvements I will reallocate the components to properly balance the plane around the CG.

6. I also replaced the receiver. This is not so critical. However, I like to have all my planes on the same gear - Easier for maintenance

I'll report back after I had a chance to make the ESC change and test the plane. With the upgrades in place I will feel more comfortable doing the aerobatics.

Tom