RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: khodges

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I'm ready to try anything about now; I'm looking for somebody big enough to hand launch it

I readjusted the tailwheel today, and took the fuse out on the paitio to see what it does. I loosened the spring setup on the control rod to allow the tailwheel to caster about 5 degrees each side of straight, and set it so I have some right rudder in when the wheel is held straight. The free caster almost allows the wheel to be straight with a the rudder straight, meaning I can move the rudder a little to the right without affecting the tailwheel movement at all. Taxiing around the patio, it seems to work pretty well. My thought is that at the start of takeoff roll, the tendency of the tailwheel to run straight, plus the spring action in the control rod, will allow it to track straight to the point the tail lifts, and I'll have right rudder already in when this happens. Plus, just a matter of getting used to how much rudder I need. My little UPF Sportsman was real bad for this, but I got used to it. Just hope I get used to this one before I completely trash it
Somebody big enough to hand launch the UMF????? Well, judging from the Tee Shirt orders that I saw, and the number of extra large shirts.....There should be several somebody's that could be your hand launch expert......

I like the idea of having the tailwheel be able to caster a few degrees. Let us know how that works.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1