RCU Forums - View Single Post - what first low wing plane
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 12:48 PM
gt5500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what first low wing plane

ORIGINAL: Leo L

Consider the PZ Typhoon. If you keep the transmitter set to low rates, the plane is very easy to control. It flies fairly slow, giving you time to figure out what to do, yet has awesome power to get you out of trouble. Just point the nose up and hit full throttle, gaining altitude till you can correct whatever the problems are. The only problem is that it flies so well inverted that its very easy to loose orientation. To solve this problem, paint the top and bottom two very distinctly different colors, or add day-glow tape to the tops of the wings, so that you can easily tell if its right side up or upside down. It was my first low wing plane and three other flyers at my field have had it as their first low wing. Simply a great plane. (OK, I'll admit that there is one other issue: the servos are not strong enough for the huge control surfaces and get easily stripped from crashes. You can buy replacement gears very cheaply, or replace the complete servos [Elevator and rudder. Ailerons are OK]).
To save all the radio related problems and since the guy is obviuosly in the hobby for the long haul he may as well get a decent radio and build a proper plane rather then wasting money on RTF planes. He may well already have some gear so RTF is definately a waste of money.