View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Mr DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F-15 ARF Assembly Thread

ORIGINAL: reznor

ORIGINAL: loucel-RCU

Ehab,
what kind of turbines are you setting up, p-60's??? interested in the twin format.....
we have three up here in Seattle,one of us is ahead of the game, I'll tell him to post some pictures, he has a very simple set up for the canopy
one air cylinder to open and close,and two small servos to lock it in place....

Regards

Roberto

I used 2 micro servos for the latches. They are mounted to the back of the cockpit tub. They move 2 4-40 threaded rods that go forward and bend up and back through brass tubes in the front windscreen frame and the front of the canopy frame. They are connected to a Jetronics sequencer and a Matchbox to synch the servos. The air cylinder that raises/lowers the canopy is actuated by a Robart valve attached to the sequencer. The sequencer is set up for "doors open" (disengages latches), "gear down" (canopy opens), "doors stay open" (latches stay disengaged), "gear up" (canopy closes), "doors close" (latches engage canopy).

It seems to be a very strong latching set-up and works reliably. The photos show the different components and the latches in both open and closed position.

I still need to clean everything up and paint some of the nicks I put in the finish, etc. so excuse the mess.

Bill B.
Bill

Your setup for the canopy is excellent—I will copy it to the T. But first, I see that you have a switch and three charging jacks behind the pilot tub—what are they for—please? If this is the main power switch, how do you open the canopy if the power is off—or do you leave it open once done flying?

Also, if you don’t mind, please tell me what you have and where you have it for all the plumbing inside the whole bird. I’ve had mind since Jan 07 and I’ve don’t nothing to it—trying to see as many setups as I can before digging in to it.

Components I’ve bought:

- Powerbox w/switch
- Three 4000mah lipos – 2 for powerbox and 1 for ECU
- Tamjets smoke system
- Nexus turbine
- 2 JR 8711s for elevators
- 6 JR 8611s for other
- 5 JR micros for retracts, canopy, bomb drops, brakes, other
- UAT
- Heat shielding cloth and paint
- Whip antenna
- More – can’t think of what else but more for sure

I’ve a ton of questions for you, but I’ll wait until we’ve established a rapport—if one is necessary for you to spill your guts…

But one last quick one—did you build a shield out of ply or balsa for the elevator servos to protect them for the heat of the pipe?

Many thanks…

Mr DJ