RCU Forums - View Single Post - Destroying the value of all used stuff and risking people's lives
Old 07-21-2003, 01:31 AM
spyder0069

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destroying the value of all used stuff and risking people's lives

I have had both ends of this topic. I have bought tons of stuff via e-bay and 99% was perfect. Bought many receivers, engines, transmitters, servos, ect. In general the only thing I won't put in a plane is used batteries unless they came from my stock. I use peak detection chargers and know that all of mine are treated properly. As far as receiver/transmitter problems that result in a crash...... Should have done a better range check. Besides all the power on adjustments while putting the plane together I also do a wiggle test on the wires to identify problems before I hit the field. I super glue the receiver battery connecter to the switch harness jack so I know it can't get pulled out by a snag and zip tie extra wire length to keep in flight snags from happening. My engines (new or used) get plenty of run-in on the bench or in plane before the wheels ever leave the ground. If I can't run a couple of tanks through without a problem then the plane comes home. I only lost money one time when I purchase a built kit (not covered) that was supposed to come with a os .25FX. The plane arrived and it was built completely wrong (had machine screws instead of glue to hold in bulkheads for gods sake!) and it had a older .25FP. The person was not willing to refund some of my money back. The plane went in the garbage. The engine was rebuilt and is currently on a plane. Probably lost about $50 in that deal. You win some and lose some. I can't stand people who are "selling this for a friend" or "seems to have good compression". If you don't know anything about the item you shouldn't be selling the item and those people who buy that item better be counting on using it for parts only. I suppose there is a big distinction that should be made here though. There are those who are just trying the hobby(failed and are trying to recoup costs) and there are those of us who are in this hobby.