RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building an airstrip
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Building an airstrip

The concrete is definetly nice. It's hard to use it all-- but I manage sometimes

We had some pretty heated arguments about this runway; due to the costs involved. We spent months at club meetings discussing the pros and cons of the expense.

I was a very persuasive advocate for grass, but its a democratic club and majority rules.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. The concrete is REALLY nice. But we are leasing this property in 5 yr intervals. We've been there less than one yr as of today 03-06-03. My argument was that we could loose the lease in 5 yrs and we'd be SOL. The club decided to gamble on the renewal of the lease---and the concrete runway was born.

I got my fingers crossed.

As for the number of members-- we've got about 400 now. I believe that we may be almost the largest club in the lower 48. But we only have members from one state. There is a club on the Northeast coast that has more members-- but they have members from several states combined.

We had about $75,000 in the treasury before we got started on this runway. All of that went to the runway and then there was the $200 assessment. We also had a few charitable contributions from members. Some of these contributions were in the $5,000 to $10,000 amount. Those people all chose to remain anonymous.

Pretty good bunch of guys overall. I chipped in my $200 and it was worth it.