RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building an airstrip
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 01:28 AM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building an airstrip

Our strip was built on a reclaimed strip mine that was mined back in the 70's. The field sat for what I believe was about 10 years before it was converted into a RC field. The field was basically a hay field. The original people who started the club spent a lot of time clearing out rocks and getting the grass to a managable level. As you can see from the picture we mow a pit area with small entries onto the runway. The rest of the area we let the grass grow a little high to act as a boundary. We've brought down several dead sticks in the high grass and it actually can help pad the crash landings to some degree. But on the flip side it can also sometimes cause more damage than a cut field. The landowner cuts the hay twice a year. The field has a barbed wire fence around it's perimeter with No tresspassing signs to keep out hoodlums. This doesn't always work. Twice now some rednecks drove up to the field to party in their trucks. Sometimes leaving craters and doughnuts in the field. The landowner is keeping a better eye out for the vandels now. Our field is not asphalt smooth, but it's not too bad for grass. We haven't tore up any planes on it yet.

Originally posted by Backwing
Coomarlin - Was that grass already established, or did you guys redo the strip?
I also have another area that I can use with established grass, but it's kind of rough, but level. So I'm trying to figure out how to apply some sand and roll it to smooth it out.
We have very sandy soil so maybe a good watering and a really heavy roller.