RCU Forums - View Single Post - CMPro 71" Fw-190 kitbash
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Jagdfleiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMPro 71" Fw-190 kitbash

Dave,
Here are the pictures I promised. Just a little background on the plane I am rebuilding (bashing). Its a 1/6.5 scale Dora 9. Don't worry about the fact that its a Dora 9. Both the 190A and the 190D had identical wings. I picked up the plane in a swap meet. Its a Czech kit (I know this by the instructions that came with it) that employs a foam wing. The 'bashing' that I did can be used on either a foam or build up wing. In fact, I think it is likely easier on a built up wing. Anyway, the kit is a standoff scale that has lines that are close to scale so, I decided to really scale it up. I have a 1/5th Holman 190A that I plan on building later, so I wanted to see if I could develop the building techniques necessary to make it 100% scale. Although having stated that, if you can make the CMP 190 pretty close to scale, I might give that a shot next. BTW - I am pretty impressed with the mods you make so far to your fuse. If I can help you a little bit with the details, the that might be my next plane.

OK, For the wing, I decided to install flaps (which the kit didn't have) and remake the ailerons 100% scale. (I am not going to describe how I did the flaps, but I can later if you are interested). The model had ailerons whos spans were too long and they did not extend to the wing tip as they should. So, the first order of business was to layout the flap and aileron outline on the bottom of the wing. I had to add an inch or so to the flaps, reducing the aileron outline accordingly. I drew the outline on the bottom, then cut out the bottom skin and removed all the foam in the pertinent areas. I created a bay to house the aileron and flap servos at a somewhat scale location (the original wing had a large hatch for access to the outboard 20mm cannon). Rather than using robard hinge points, I decided to make my own hinges to better simulate the original. The portion that is fixed in the wing are a sandwich of 2 pieces of 1/8th inch balsa with a flight skin core. The ailerons portion is actually a tube that houses a thin piano wire rod that runs the length of the aileron. This permits me to take the ailerons off very, very easily. It also makes for a very precise fit and allows the ailerons to rotate with virtually no binding. I have been playing around with flightskin and used it to build the ailerons...kind of an experiment. You can just as easily use balsa. I decided not to cover the ailerons with fabric. I find it easier to make them out of hard material (flightskin) to better simulate the scale details later. Her are some overview pics (please excuse the poor quality of the pics. My camera didn't quite survive a house fire I had last year).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68444.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	707614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56084.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	707615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45256.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	16.4 KB