RCU Forums - View Single Post - Props and paint jobs
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Fear2722
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props and paint jobs

Hey all-

I've been flying off and on for the better part of 11 years now, and after about 2 years totally away from the hobby, I got back in this year with a CG Extra 300 and a Seagull Models Edge 540 .90. Both are powered with a .90 Supertigre. So after serveral flights of getting used to using the radio again, the edge is nearing completion.

Anyway, the edge is much more scale appearing, and definately more aerobatic than the extra's design... much bigger control surfaces, plug in wings, its even a pound lighter with the same dimensions!!! As this plane nears completion, I've been stocking up on different props to experiment and see which one really fits the aircraft.

One particular prop I chose was an APC 14x4W. It's a wide profile sport prop for 3d. I know it's a good idea to paint the tips of the props, but I want to take it a step further and make it look like a fullscale prop... gloss white front, flat black on the back, and have red tips.

what's the best kind of paint to use to do this, and with me, being as inexperienced as I am at painting, how do I go about taping it off to paint it correctly without any overspray on the front or back?

With this being on a relatively small aircraft (under 70" span) will this paint add enough weight to make a difference or will it be a non issue?

Like I said, I've got several props so I'll do one and if I dont like it i can just hang it up.

Thanks for the info.