RCU Forums - View Single Post - getting that prop nut tight
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: getting that prop nut tight

ORIGINAL: 1fasthitman

I'm getting frustrated trying to tighten the nuts on the output shaft on my engines. Everytime I apply pressure on the nut, with the prop aligned properly on the spinner, the backplate for the spinner shifts, and I can't get the cone on. I have a cowl on the airplane, so I can't get pressure on that piece(sorry, I dont know what it's called) behind that backplate. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
First things first, did you ream your prop so it slides without effort down to the drive lug? Take the spinner backplate off. If you can't drop the prop on your prop shaft, all the way to the drive hub, then it's sticking on the shaft and needs reamed. That snug fit is helping the nut turn the prop and shaft, and hindering the load you want to apply to the backplate.

That said, if your prop isn't snug on the prop shaft, then you can sand the ribs off the spinner backplate, to get full area contact between it and the prop. Also, you could cut a washer of doubleside abrasive, to fit between prop & backplate.

Good luck,
Dave Olson