RCU Forums - View Single Post - Italeri PT boat
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
bjldiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Italeri PT boat

some additional info. This is a 1/35 scale, the hull length is 27.55”. This kit from Italeri contains 322 parts molded in gray plastic, plus one clear acetate sheet for the windows, one photo etched fret containing 86 parts for torpedo fins, rocket launchers sides, 37mm gun ammo conveyor, gun sights, main mast aerials, instruments panel, deck lights. The one piece hull and single piece deck have good detail. There are many tiny parts that can be difficult to work with. The deck skylights are a challenge to get in cleanly. The detail of this kit is far superior to the Lindbergh kit. From what I have heard the hull of the Lindberg kit is closer to the design of the Higgins PT Boats. The Italeri hull is truer to the Elco design. So far the build has gone fairly smooth the fit of the parts is good. I have not needed to use much filler at the seams. The instructions can be vague at times but are workable. It would have been nice if they would have included some crew men. There’s a nice reference manual included with the history and actual photos of the full size boat.

The motor I am installing is the 3150 Model Marine Motor by M.A.C.K.
This is the motor used in many MACK Products conversion kits for Dumas, Lindberg, etc. Running at 12 volts net 12,000 plus RPM's. The rudders are from PMB rc parts in England. I might cut them down and reshape them to look more like the original PT rudders. The gear set is from Dumas and consists of parts from the Little Shelley Foss kit. I am planning on trying different props but for now I will use the props from the Lindberg kit. I will also determine from test runs if I will stay with the single motor set up. If I can not get the proper scale speed I will refit the boat with twin brushless motors and electric speed controllers.

I will have some free time this week end so I hope to make some progress and will up date as things progress.

My Dry-dock consists of two running Lindberg PT's one under construction and two for parts. I am also working on a 1:32 landing craft and 1:32 Tank that my son and I are going to put into a diorama with one of the PT boats. That’s next winters project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14075.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	713021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32010.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	713022