RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Tank F.A.Q.
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 06:47 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Tank F.A.Q.

Coloring sandbags, tarps and other fabrics:

Here is a cheap way to color your camo nets, tarps, sandbags and any other fabrics. Its the way I make my own: acrylic fabric paints!

Where to get 'em: Look in the craft section of the local Walmart or in the local dollar store in the fabric paint aisle. There should be a rack of fabric paints (NOT DYES, they are a pain) under the name Delta Ceramcoat. Don't be put off by the name, these are acrylic (aka water-based) paints. Don't go to Michaels or White Rose or an art store, you'll pay three times as much for the same stuff (I paid $6 at Wallacks, $2 at the Dollarama for the same 120 ml (4oz) bottle)

How to Use 'em:

AFTER shaking the paint container well to mix its contents, choose a 500 ml (about 16 ounce) mixing/dunk container. A wide opening but not too shallow is good (eg: a Glad or Ziploc sandwich tub) Pour a fixed amount into the container with an equal amount of water (an old syringe is good for this) Stir well, then dunk and wring out each bag or 'tarp' in turn. NOTE: Unlike dyes, do NOT wet the fabric first. If you wring the soaked fabric out ~carefully~ over the container, your improvised dye goes much farther. You can even feed this thinned mixture through an airbrush to spray the camo onto a tarp. You can also get empty squeeze bottles in the craft section, for any un-used but watered paint. Save it for further tinting the bags once they dry.

Tarps?

Yes, look for large thin-cotton hankerchiefs (the super cheap ones are best) or better yet, the 'flour sack' dish towels in the kitchen-wares section of supermarkets. I've found ones that are 24" x 36" are ideal for draping over even a Leopard 2A6. Most are even neatly hemmed, so you can feed piano wire into the sewn hems to make a tent if you choose.

If the fabric is a bit too stiff after drying, wash them by themselves in a cold water wash (no soap or bleach) and tumble dry on the delicates setting. Presto - insta-camo, and DIRT cheap.