RCU Forums - View Single Post - who else fears this problem
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 06:41 PM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: who else fears this problem

ORIGINAL: sharpshooter243

ok, i was just making sure there was still enough people for glow, some electric people seem pretty intent on overrunning the market with their motors. i am sure they are way more expensive (i looked up the power systems for a .10 sized plane, electric it would cost 105, glow it would costs 65 for a nice os setup.) but to me they are inferior, i mean seriously, lets see an electric motor pull an expensive half sized or full sized plane.
I hate to break it to you but... in most circumstances an electric motor will produce more torque than a combustion engine. Although I don't think glow engines will ever fall out of favor I do fear for the companies that produce them. Cox models is one example. In my opinion a lot of models in the 1/2A size range can be effectively powered with electric setups. The small group of die hard aficionados just can't supply the demand. Around here noise is a big issue. We fly in a forest preserve and are always aware of the fact that we can lose our site at any time. Recently they started building homes in a corn field about a quarter of a mile away. A couple of fellows were flying some jets and the new neighbors got their shorts in a bunch... no jets now. However electric ducted fans are acceptable and electric prop planes aren't even an issue. Also I think if electric is going to ever be a first option for an aircraft modeler, the manufacturers better get their act together and start some sort of consortium to come to an agreement in terms of standards. I have a background in electronics and electricity and find myself pulling my hair out wading through all of the specs and custom nomenclature these motor makers are heaping on the modeling community. Lets get with it guys.