RCU Forums - View Single Post - Problem breaking-in a ASP 120
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 PM
chris de jon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Problem breaking-in a ASP 120

Hi again Raul,
The fact that it is firing up for a second or 2 shows that the motor should run but something is obstructing it.
It appears to me that it is having trouble drawing fuel, and when has enough to fire then fires up, using up the fuel that it has attomised, then dies.
Or it could still be too lean.
I would go back to basics.
First check fuel draw.
check that the tank is hooked up correctly:- For instance can you blow through the tank pressure line and create resistance by squeezing off the fuel supply line.
This will tell you if the lines are pinched.

I don't mean to be insulting but check this, as I have done this myself- check that you have in fact connected the clunk line to the carby and not the pressure line.
I don't think it is the plug at this stage as it is firing. A 4 stroke plug is the best in a four stroke as they have longer reach. Use e.g. An OS F or similar.

Check also that the clunk is not too long and is trapped in a corner of the tank obstructing flow.

Fuel Draw problems:- The stopper in the tank should be even or just below the main needle. I don't think this would stop it from running.

Do you have the manual for the motor?

Badly adjusted tappets could be a problem with heat etc. Have you adjusted them?

Running extremely hot is a sign of lean running.
Go back to basics with needle settings:-
Check that as a start the high needle is 2 1/2 turns out from closed.
Recheck the low needle. With the throttle fully open turn the low needle anti clockwise about 2 turns out.
Check by looking that you have not somehow locked up the throttle stop screw.
look to see that the hole in the carby is travelling from say a pinhole to full open.
You may be trying to start on a nearly fully open throttle.
Good luck
Chris De Jon