RCU Forums - View Single Post - Weston Magnum 40
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weston Magnum 40

Hughie 42:

I'm with you as to looks of the V tail. You can go with the standard tail feather design with the Viper ect. with no problem, think it is a alternative in the current Viper kit. Note that all Jett engines are not created equally. The L series is their typical sports engine, the LX series is what you want. Its good for another 1,000 or more rpm without loosing idle and transition superior qualities of the Jett, about a $25.00 extra. Now, the Quickee wing is not a paper thin 10-12% wing, generaly its semi-semetrical. Its a great wing design that allows high speeds and will still slow down almost as well as a sports model. The typical 52" span is well more lift for the model neads when around 4 lbs. With a 35 power home brew airframe, I cut them down to 40" and streemline the nose. With the 60LX, I cut the wing down to 45" with no ill effects for landing This one was scary fast and I lost it with a very quick glance down to see where my trim was. Gone in a moment. The next design I have, left a composite wing with the full 52"; fatter and deeper fuse, still needle nosed. This one is still fast, keeps up and/or passes most quickees around. It's intended to be user friendly, and it sure is. I can start her up, taxie out and take off and land as with any other sport model. It will do anything a typical sports airframe will, and still scoot when the throttle is pushed forward. The original prop is still on it and sound. 4 point rolls, no problem, inside and outside loops and related pattern manuvers just fine. It will even hover for a while, but not able to get torque rolls in hover yet. The general quicke design is a supprising sport flyer when set up with some descent dual rates. I start at 3/8 high rate with 60% expo, and drop to 3/16 or so for WFO. Club's newest hot thing is a LR-1 with Jett Quickee 40. My 60 is in for minor repair (I hope), will find out if I can outrun the LR-1 under race conditions later this month, suspect I can, with ease. When speeds are near equal, its the better airframe and pilot will generally come in first. Am giving away some 30+ years in reaction and eyesight, but will still give it a good go. There is a little something to the "Old age and tretchery will overcome youth and skill" thing. (maby) Try one. The Jett 50 LX is good, the 60 LX is my current favorite engine of all time. My 5 year old 35 still is quite willing and strong. ENJOY