RCU Forums - View Single Post - gee bee r2 wheel pant attatchment
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: gee bee r2 wheel pant attatchment

Polikarpov,

Very nice work on your rarely modeled rendition of the GeeBee. You are lucky to have obtained a Page kit as Adrian is no longer producing them.

I suggest you refrain from installing massive fuel tanks in your 1933 Bendix racer, as that is what led to the original's demise (LOL)

What powerplant do you intend to use?

Are you sheeting all the scale areas (unlike Adrian's kit design)? What is your projected finished weight?

FYI - I built a 25% R2 from Henry Haffke plans, modifying the aircraft for as close to scale fidelity as was available at the time. Finished weight was 18 pounds. Initial flights were with Quadra 42, followed by the installation of Technopower 9 cyl. 4 cu. in. radial.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...ry&memid=37603

The aircraft flew great, but was tough to land - although not impossible. Like the full scale, it required 100% concentration on every landing. Take-offs were a little dicey as yaw control transitioned from tailwheel to rudder. The aircraft was very pitch sensitive and low rates were necessary on landing. If slowed too much, the aircraft would simply stall forward with a total loss of elevator control, so landings, as I say, required much finesse.

I was gratified to talk with Delmar Benjamin at Oshkosh 1998 and find that my 25% model exhibited very similar handling characteristics to his full scale.

I will be building another R2 before year's end - this one by Iron Bay (Byron).

I will eventually build 33% from Hostetler plans.

Gee Bees RULE!!!