RCU Forums - View Single Post - Magnetic Switch
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 01:56 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnetic Switch

RaceCity,

My main interest in RC is scale. Any product that can eliminate the intrusion of non-scale necessities is of interest to me. If there's a way to make a reliable switch that can be completely hidden, I'd be interested.

I know that the businesses in this hobby are there to make a profit, and if they can't make a profit on an item, they should drop it.
I understand that a magnetic switch is probably not a viable money making product in the market place, but I'm not in this hobby to make someone money. If it's available on the market I would consider buying one. If not, l'd still be interested in the knowledge to be able to make it for myself.

As for the average Joe, I'd say that the average Joe could care less about RC in general, let alone a magnetic switch for some scale freak.

Pete,

In my internet searches, I came across reed switches. One of my first thoughts was the potential problem with vibration. While the problem (if it's there) of vibration would have to be overcome, a reed may still be the answer. The question is, could a solution such as a stable debounced state long enough to be distinguished from momentary contact by vibration, perhaps using a timer, be made to make it relaible? And could a home brewed solution be made small and lightweight enough? I think RaceCity is right that it was a product marketed but no longer available. If so, it makes me think even more so that there's likely to be a way to make it workable.

Scott