RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club Roster Database or Spreadsheet?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Al Stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club Roster Database or Spreadsheet?

Way to go, Herb.

Databases is what I do, so I'll tell you how I decide whether I'd be serving somebody or just adding cost to their project when they want a database...

The biggest thing to say for a database is that it lets you handle searching and handling things in different ways -- like looking up information by different aspects of the information. For instance, if you needed to be able to retreive people by name (for obvious uses) AND by radio channel (for planning contests or something) AND by areas of expertise (that they can help new guys with) or by other things like that (where multiple members might be grouped together by some common characteristic), then a database is a good tool.

Otherwise, like if you just want to list members' info or print it out for a mailing list, you won't really get any benefit from a database, but you'll probably have to put up with it being more complicated than a simple spreadsheet (or table in a word processor).

I'd like to know what other clubs are doing, too... if a database is really a good idea and there's not one free, we could certaily put one together.