RCU Forums - View Single Post - New member questions????
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New member questions????

I belong to a couple of control line clubs (AMA chartered). When I go to one of my club-sponsored, AMA sanctioned contests and want to fly in a partiular event, I have to show my AMA card before they will take my registration fee. This to someone who has known me for years. Then, having entered, presuming that my equipment meets the event and safety requirements, I can compete, as best I can, and have fun.

My club fields are on public lands. The controlling agency requires AMA membership to fly. I fly on other fields from time to time where AMA membership is required.

I think, if you are interested in model aviation, investing $58 in a year's AMA membership is a good and reasonable investment. You will get 12 issues of the AMA magazine, Model Aviation, which covers the field, and will have some stuff of specific interest to you, and your AMA license and secondary insurance coverage. At the end of the year, look back through the 12 issues: think about your experiences, and send your money in or bail as you see fit. That way you decide for yourself and dont let someone else con you into anything.