RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.4 Receiver Antenna Types - Now I'm Confused ?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:52 PM
d_wheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 Receiver Antenna Types - Now I'm Confused ?

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: d_wheel

I feel that dual antennas/receivers DO indeed reduce the possibility of signal loss. Xtremelink feels that their 2 way transmitter/receiver communications reduces the chance of lost data because if information does not make it to the receiver, the transmitter sends it again. This appears to work in the majority of cases, but there is no way to convince me personally that this is the best way to handle things. I feel that a system that is designed to reduce the need for retransmission of data is better than one that is designed to retransmit that data because you know that your antenna system is less than optimum.
D.W.
D.W.
I have a hard time imagining a scenario where retransmitting data would be of any help in providing a more robust link between a transmitter and receiver, if data is lost, it's lost, (there is a big difference between "our" data and transmitting a digital file , as in an Ethernet link) I would think that the last thing you would want would be to receive old retransmitted data when link integrity is recovered. If you hold data for retransmission how does it know when to flush the buffer and start sending in real time? Am I the only one out here that sees this as a problem, rather than a fix? Please anyone with comments.
As to antenna diversity, how many have been listening to something of interest on the car radio and just as you ease to a stop for a light you hit a null in the signal that blanks you out right at that spot[:@], I would think dual diversity antenna would help just that scenario.
Pete
According to XPS, the "old" data can be resent many times before the next frame of data is due to be transmitted. If it hasn't been received by then, the next frame is assembled and sent out. It seems good in theory but as I have said before, dual antennas should minimize if not eliminate the need to use this type of system. Yes, I have experienced just what you mention about FM radio blanking. There is one stop sign on the way to work where this is very noticeable!

Later;

D.W.