RCU Forums - View Single Post - HiTec Optic 6 Case & handle Issues
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 07:02 AM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HiTec Optic 6 Case & handle Issues

I started with a Flash 5SX which was second hand. No idea how old it was but the handle started to crack. It was repaired by fitting some sturdy wire in the groove at the back of the handle and filling it with epoxy.

I now have an Eclipse which I bought new. The plastic has started to crack despite trying to be gentle with it. Thin CA on the cracks have helped but tonight I pulled it apart to take another look. Where are the washers and thicker plastic around those load bearing areas? You made the outside of the cover look impressively sturdy around the handle and then didn't make it any thicker than the rest of the cover.... If you're going to design a fancy plastic mold, particularly the bits the handle attach to, make it thicker. It's not going to cost Hitec one more cent after the initial mold is made....

As for the Optic, I have no personal experience but would imagine it's the same.

These cases aren't flimsy but Hitec could have very easily made the handle areas stronger for next to no cost. You don't hear/see this handle problem on other brands of radio.

I hope the new Corona has addressed some of the common Hitec criticisms: not enough model memories and handles that break. I need a new radio and will wait for the Corona, if it's not up to scratch I'm going JR.

From the pics I've seen of the Corona, hopefully the product models will have a better quality LCD screen than the cheap looking low contrast sample.