RCU Forums - View Single Post - what is faster
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is faster

dirtmagnet:

Interesting question. I always found the Ultra Sport to be faster than most in the 40 size when equiped with retracts/tail dragger. A excellent scooter that gave me fits in our club open class racing was the GP Super Sportster kit, built as taildragger, retracts, engine 45 ST extra cowelled in. Kicked everyone's tail for years. It was never beaten constantly even with a rules conforming streemlined Q-500 Jett 50L powered. Thing died while trying to pass me low and hit the 4' fence. I both rejoiced in its passing and was sad to see something of this quality die. I would think the Ultra sport built from a kit would be superior. The ARF's are simply no good for speed. The arf wing leading edge is boxed out and missing that support area that becomes very critical at higher speeds. I did one arf up with Jett 60LX, but waited to install retracts. It was reasonabely quick but needed the gear to come up. After 3 flights, found the wing center section cracking back toward trailing edge. I gave the project up as not worth the effort. Would have built one from kit form at the time, but could not find one, so designed something from scratch, pic attached maby. If you really want to amaze the guys, get a Hobbico Avi-Star, cut the wing down to 40", build flat, streemline nose a little, add webra 55 with 9 X 10 apc. You will run the Q500 sport engine powered guys crazy, probably lap them in a 10 lap heat. I had to build a "super rules bender" to beat the thing, and finally build one myself for a practice ship. Now I fly the practice ship in the races as it scoots ang groves so well. ENJOY
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69643.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	737579