RCU Forums - View Single Post - what is faster
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is faster

dirtmagnet: Mike Connor is right on. You don't need to go through a 3 ply system, a one ply with 2-3oz cloth is enough by observation. This is not a must do, but recommended. There are two others in the club flying for two seasons without a failure. In order to build the wing flat, you will have to make a center joiner out of 1/4" ply. Use the stock unit, and make same size and length. You will also have to sand the center sections to join without a large gap, and the wings come with the dihedrial angle built in. Cut a 1/8" piece of hard balsa and epoxie to one wing side. Carefully sand the center section to match up without a gap when laid flat on the table. Want this wing flat, no dihedrial.

You should be using hold down bolts for the wing, I use two front and two rear. You can fill the areas needilng to be solid balsa for the bolts relatively easy before you join the wing. Need to purchase a Q-500 landing gear and wheels. Recommend you get at www.darrolcady.com and keep him on your for sure "Good guys" list. His LG is tempered and does not bend all over the place on each landing. Also get the wheels and steel axels from him as they are sturdy, and again quality. You will pay a little more for the gear, but save a bunch in broken props, wheels and gear replacement. If its not quality, Darrol does not sell it. Install a 1/4" piece of ply in front of the existing landing gear location in the bay leading to the front blukhead, tap with 1/4 X 20 for tapered nylon bolts. Can get them at Lowe's or similar. Remember, were building a tail dragger. Obtain DuBro 40 size tailwheel assembly and install to existing rear area. It will be free to move with no control which is fine, not going to taxie this thing around, and will work fine under wfo takeoffs and general landing. Can always add another pushrod to the tail gear if you want to add the weight and cut into the fuse. I'm a KISS person for what its worth.

I don't like the stock heavy motor mount, but its useable as is. I knock out the existing blind nuts from the firewall, fill with hardwood dowell stock and replace with a Dave Brown 4650 nylon mount. You will be saving around 6 oz and help in the CG/battery install. Battery will end up between wing and tail with all 3 servos as close to the rear wing bulkhead as possible. Add a triangle balsa brace to the vertical stab on right side, stock is a little weak.

I streemline the nose of my bird, the other two are running stock open frame in front with a good spinner as wide as the airframe with no real apparent problem. This is something you can do any time in the future. The Webra 55 eats the other modified K & B 48 screamer alive by around 20-30 mph. It also hangs with the nephew's Jett 60LX powered bird, much to my supprise. If the kid ever learns to needle the Jett correctly, I'm in trouble. Heck no I'm not going to help him needle on race day, like shooting yourself in the foot, afterall, a 45 year handicap should be enough.

Now, all this may sound imposing and difficult, not. You gotta learn some basic skills sometime, its good that this bird id $99.00 from Tower. If you decide to build this thing, let me know and I will post some pics that will help. ENJOY