RCU Forums - View Single Post - When do you just say no
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 AM
ToyDestroyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When do you just say no

Regent,
Seeing as that I don't belong to a club I will not comment on club rules and such, or your problems training older pilots. I can say though that I completely agree with SSRCCPREZ and others who say to continue to help the boy. I would think his mother needs to be informed that an adult is needed at the field with the boy. The best approach I think would be to pull her aside the next time they come to the field and tell her politely that an the kid needs to have an adult with him. You guys are doing a great thing by helping this kid, don't listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. As far as his borrowing parts, is the mother aware that you guys give him parts everytime he is at the field? Maybe you should put together a list of general supplies the boy needs and give it to his mother. Better yet maybe at your next club meeting you could ask for donations to buy this kid a field box and a couple of the things he needs. When you give the box to the child let his mother know that the items in the box need to be replaced as they are used and tell her where she can buy them. If you take the time to remind the kid before he leaves the field that something in his box needs replaced you may be suprised to find a new one in the box next time he comes. I think your problem is that the mother is unaware of what needs done. She probably knows nothing of the hobby and is only trying to make her boy happy by letting him fly. Since she isn't dropping him off every day or even multiple times every week I doubt that she sees you and your club as a babysitting solution. What you are doing for this boy is setting a good example. You aren't teaching him that he can get a free ride, you are teaching him how to be a good person.