RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is modeling becoming too diverse?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Is modeling becoming too diverse?

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: Mode One

R/C, which I believe makes up 90% of the membership in the AMA at present and likely makes up a similar ratio amongst all who fly model airplanes, could maybe be looked at lacking diversity today. Go to the flying field and count how many airplanes aren't ARFs and don't look like cookie cutter copies of each other! So, while some aspects are diverse, other aspects of the sport are increasing in their lack of diversity.

When I first joined the AMA, CL and FF were still major contenders of the membership making it more diverse then it is today and I think model aviation was stronger for it. Since I've dabbled in most aspects of this hobby, my interests are diverse and that makes me happy!

I don't think you are taking into account the differences in the people entering the hobby today as opposed to those that were in it when you joined the AMA. Different generations breed different expectations. Talk to those in other adult hobbies and you will find the same issues.
Red,

I think that you are right on the money. Today's entry level model airplane enthusiasts are expecting instant gratification, whereas you and I expected to build whatever we flew, from rubber power, right on through spark ignition, and then to glow. From free flight, to control line, and finally the big step to Radio Control. But we dop remember how to build, and more importantly, how to trim a model.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1