RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Diamond Dust-Help
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Diamond Dust-Help

If you have a DD kit in box, now may be a good time to use the ribs as a template to make more for your self. Who knows if/when new kits will come out or the quality. I will not use the original parts in a plane, only copies. The ribs are 3/32" thick and the engine mount and the little rectangles that fit into the spar ends are 1/8" thick aircraft ply. A Sears 10" band saw (table saw) model #119 214000 about $100 works fantastic to cut things up.

The jig is up...sorry I couldn't help myself. I made a fixture/jig to hold everything strait, square and spaced. This will keep the wing neutral, no wash in/out. At each hold point there are two blocks glued to the base plate (3/4" hard, strait particle board). One of these blocks is positioned to the inside line of an accurate layout drawn on the base plate, the opposite block is angled so a small wedge can be inserted between it and the rib. These wedges have surprising holding power; if you forget one and pull you will break something! Blocks are cut to hold up the spar at the proper height for the outer ribs. I used some adhesive backed Teflon tape under the 1/4 X 3/8 trailing edge so the CA won't stick the wing to the fixture or you can use some wax paper each time. The only parts that should be resting on the base plate are the rear 2/3rds of the main ribs and the trailing edge. Loading the fixture and gluing up a wing takes about 10 minutes. The fixture works with standard or clipped wing (clipped wing is loaded). This jig be made in a few hours, it's not worth it if you are making only a few deltas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18563.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	771537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63906.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	771538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23681.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.8 KB