RCU Forums - View Single Post - BEST RTF 4C Aileron Trainer - "BUSY BEE"
Old 10-02-2007, 03:45 AM
Andrewmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BEST RTF 4C Aileron Trainer - "BUSY BEE"

Got a busy bee last week and assembled it without difficulty. However when checking flying surfaces noted that the fin was not vertical nor was the stab horizontal. Removed the tail assembly and took off the control horns from the elevator so that the horizontal stab could lie flat on the workbench. Then I epoxied the fin into the slot and aligned with a set square. I then trued up the fuselage mounting surface for the horisontal stab and when all was screwed together looked great.

Out at the flying field however the grass was too long for a ground take off so full throttle and a hand launch saw the plane flutter about 10m and landed tail first even with full elevator. Check things out and decided the prop was on backwards, swapped it around and definitely more thrust now. I did not try the plane again as I was definitly getting some radio interference.

After reading through bostoms comments I bought an eflite 8x6 prop and replaced the prop and also fitted a Spektum Ar6000 receiver to take care of the radio glitching. Next day at the flying field all had been freshly mowed so I decided to try a ground take-off. With the new prop the plane wizzed over the freeshly mowed grass like a bat out of hell but even with full elevator the plane would not take off. I reset the trims to allow for more up elevator and attempted a hand launch the plane headed ground wards fast but limped into the sky on full up elevator and full throttle. Once up at about 20m or so tried to acheive level flight but any reduction in elevator brought the nose down fast. I cut the throttle and attempted to land the plane. the plane staye din the air quite happily with no throttle and the reduced airspeed brought the plane down quite gently - to land on its nose and bend the nose gear and strip the gears on the rudder servo.

Definitely not a fly out of the box aircraft. I will buy some new servo's today and attempt raise the wing incidence by 6mm as suggested and try again. As I glued the tail I cannot drop the stab incidence.

Anyone have any other suggestions?