RCU Forums - View Single Post - How To Make Mold For Cowl
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 PM
G17Staggerwing
My Feedback: (159)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To Make Mold For Cowl

Hello, I am the person who answered the question first. I would not recommend using your cowl as a mold to fill with the plaster because I would be very leary of being able to remove the plaster from the cowl. The plaster is very heavy and brittle after it has completely set. I would be afraid of ruining the origional cowl trying to get the plaster out. If you do want to try it get yourself use a cowl that you don't mind using as a test mold. If it were to get ruined it wouldn't be a big deal. Try to coat it as you would the outside for my molding process using the recommendations listed by me and others, and fill it with the plaster. After it has dryed see if you can get it to release from the cowl using air pressure. Using the cowl as a master the way I explained it allows the air to free the cowling up off the plaster. With it used the way you want I do not see how the air will be able to break the bead and release the cowl. Like I said it is worth a try. I have used the method you have asked about to make master molds of canopies. It works well because the plastic canopy releases easily from the plaster and the mold has excellent detail. That makes for an excellent male mold for use in for vacuum forming. If you do try it please write back on this forum and let me know how successfull it was.
Regards
Nevin
G17Staggerwing