RCU Forums - View Single Post - I converted a glow engine to run on E85
Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I converted a glow engine to run on E85

I just tried my first E85/glow fuel mix on glow plug with good results. I mixed E85 and 15/16 Powermaster glow fuel at 2:1 ratio then added 7% more castor oil. In an ASP 108 I was able to get a smooth top end, and a decent idle, about 40 seconds. Transition was ok but sometimes cut out if I accelerated fast from idle. With the glow ignitor on, idle was perfect, and transition was perfect. That final mix was 4.7% nitro, 22.2% methanol, 9.5% oil, 54% ethanol, and 9.5% gasoline. I just realized I didn't add 7% castor, I added like 5%, a miscalculation I'll correct on the next batch. When my tach gets here I'll put some numbers to this. I have a feeling this E85/glow mix isn't far off what I was getting with E85 and spark ignition on the ASP 108, and that motor ran perfect on spark. Can someone tell me what their experience has been running alcohol in the spark gassers? I have always heard a bit more power is obtained than on gasoline, and vice versa when converting glow to spark with gasoline. I guess the alcohol just vaporizes better? -Tom