RCU Forums - View Single Post - About time Zoomer!
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 06:42 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: About time Zoomer!

Now onto the wing sheets in preparation for the wing construction. The sheeting at the root needs to be around 10" and at the tip around 7". This will allow a little over size to be trimmed later. You will need 12 3" sheets at 30" long. I used 36" and cut them to 31" for a little fudge factor. The plans call for 3\32" thick balsa.

I will glue 6 sheets together and then cut 2 skins from this large sheet. This optimizes yield from the material chosen. Check one sheet at a time and add short pieces of tape to hold the joint tight. Then add a long strip legthwise to cover the seem. The joint should be tight. If not sand with a long block or strip "joint" one edge with a straight edge and sharp knife. Continue with the rest of the joints taping them all together tight.

Flip the large sheet over and place it on the edge of your bench. You can now hang a sheet over the edge of your bench to apply glue. I am using aliphatic resin (Titebond). this sands easily and will provide an easy to work with glue. Super glue not recommended. Fold the sheet back flat and squeegee the excess glue. Now add another set of small strips of tape to hold this joint tight and flat. Repeat with the rest of the joints and let dry. This will provide very good tight sheets everytime.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59916.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	786175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91633.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	786176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10566.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.5 KB