RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)
Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 PM
norm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Re Gyro for the B-25

I have been experiencing with the Seagull dual ace in preperation to fly the twin B-25RC model and tested with and without gyro assistance. The test were conducted by simulating engine failure by programing one engine to idle while the other one follows the throttle stick at the flip of a switch.
I have decided to follow those test for the simple reason that i was told many different thing on the event of engine failure. I soon realized that amazingly planes reacts like planes. I have flown numerous full scale and have reviewed the emergency procedure in the event of an engine failure. all procedures dictates (in sequence of importance for those steps that interest us) 1- full power on operative engine. 2 control yaw with rudder....dead foot dead engine, and for those who fly "foot on the ball". I was told otherwise for the Seagull and to my surprize the emergency procedure was right. I am surprized how model aircrafts behave like real aircrafts. When a twin engine aircraf model or full scale has an engine failure, it is obvious that the operative engine will whant to turn the aircraft on its vertical axis. The RC pilot will immediately whant to control the aircraft with the ailerons... and maybe the design of the aircraft may permit to do so but if the rudder has a yaw damper (gyro) the aircraft will be correcrted at approximately 85% then you only have to control the plane lightly with the ailerons. Model aircrafts reacts abruptly most of the time and the Gyro on the rudder in case of an engine failure is your best bet. Still has to be tested on the B-25...I would be "ALL IN" on the rudder for a gyro. As far as installing another gyro on the ailerons well as an rc pilot the natural reaction is to try and level the plane when we see it roll. No gyro would beat me. The gyro has been tested extensively these last few weeks and i conclude that it is the best insurance against engine failure is a gyro installed on the rudder.
TT
For those who are not familiar with Gyro installed on airplanes, well you can download the instructions on the JR G500A gyro. it explains well the installation and use of the Gyro. This device will not fly the plane for you but will assist you immediately at a critical moment often when you dont know that you have an engine failure.