RCU Forums - View Single Post - VK .60 Sized SW Camel
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 05:41 PM
jetmex-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VK .60 Sized SW Camel

E-Challenged, I have to agree with you on the K&B .65. I have two of them and they are among the best running engines I have ever owned. The first one is ten years old and still has has excellent compression. It's retired because the little setscrew that holds the low speed assembly in backed out and disappeared and Mecoa no longer supplies parts for the front carb models. The second is on my Hawg now, continuing the work of the first one. I run a 12 ounce tank and 12-6 MA prop, she'll run about 20 minutes at half throttle, 10% nitro fuel. I've run a 13-6 MA 2-blade and 11-6 APC four blade props on that engine with no trouble at all, I guess your prop choice will depend on how you fly. I notice the 12-6 tends to keep my approach and landing speeds a little high, I might try a 12-5 or 13-5. I do run the pressure tap on mine--the newer engine (RNV) came with one installed but the older one did not. They both run just fine either way.

Never had a VK Camel, can't help you there. Looks like a neat project, though!

For those of you who are scared off by all the negative comments about these engines, it needs to be noted that they are aluminum on aluminum and break in is very important. You'll go through some glow plugs--this is normal. They are not screamer engines and shouldn't be run like they are. Run them a little on the rich side and you'll have an engine that will last you for quite a while.