RCU Forums - View Single Post - What changes at the AMA are DESPERATELY needed?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What changes at the AMA are DESPERATELY needed?

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

In reality, for all you guys that want the NATS to move around the country: WOW, I just really know that you are going to assist with both labor and $$$$$$ to assist in those logistics. SURE YOU ARE!

How many of you compete in events that are held at the NATs? Do you think any modeler other than hard-core competitors really give a shot about the typical NATs event? How many of you ever watch Pattern flying. Wow, two flights and its NAP time. Would you understand the objective of a Free Flight event? Do you think anyone outside the FF community would do so? Would you consider an Outdoor hand-Launch Glider a work of pure art or just a kid's toy? How much do you think you would enjoy watching CL Combat, carrier, stunt, scale racing, etc.? Maybe 2 minutes or such? Same goes for John Q. Public. The NATs is NOT a show.

The NATs is pure competition and as such its beauty lies within the eyes of the beholders, the contestants. It needs to be conducted where the artists can properly paint their picture under the watchful eye of true appreciators, those that volunteer their time, their $$$ and their labor to GO TO MUNCIE to make themselves available administrators for the love of sport.
Horrace,

I seem to remember when the Nats were held at the various Naval Air Stations around the country, and this travelling contest was accomplished with the dues at ten bucks. I think that the Navy or the Air Force would be happy to assist with the flying sites for the Nats. It was considered prestigeous for a base to score the Nats, way back when...

As to being willing to provide assistance with funding, and labor, you can count on it. I would rather donate the money that travel would cost to go to Muncie, to the AMA and have the Nats travel around the country, than have to travel there. As to the labor, I would be happy to donate my time to the endeavor.

I still enjoy C/L combat, and Stunt. Speed is not something that I would want to do any longer (my Stanzell monoline is stored along with my Hell-Razor "C" class. and I really don't want to have to build another Rat Trap plus at my age, I get dizzy easily). I do understand the concept of free flight (I finally found my Tatone Tick-Off, the other week). I never did participate in HLG, so it's not my cup of tea. I didn't rebuild my Sterling Corsair after I got a low approach and nailed the stern of the Carrier, but I did participate.

I just think that the AMA would get a big shot in the arm if more people could be exposed to it, via the Nats. I still remember meeting George Aldrich in Dallas, as a kid. Those are memories that linger, and make this hobby worthwihle.

Bill, AMA 4720