View Single Post
Old 04-02-2003, 04:48 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Re: Small Steps and small planes -

Prisoner number 1705493:
Originally posted by 1705493
As stated, the engines are AMD 0.061 - the obvious difference to the AME is the exhaust coming straight out the back, which allows the exhaust pipes to be extended to the rear of the nacelles.
Bill,
These engines are just about the same as imported by Norvel. With the mufler off, they almost cannot be told from the "Norvel" engine. But where the Norvel muffler has the stack comong off at an angle to the side, the AMD version has the stack straight out the back of the muffler.

If you (or a friend) fire up your lathe, a small chunk of aluminum could be turned to make a replacement end bell for the Norvel muffler with the straight outlet.

Since they all come from the same factory, it's also possible Norvel could get the straight pipe for you.

And as I remember, the first Norvel imports had the straight pipe also.

And even the Norvel AME version engines aren't as cranky as these. I've been tempted many times to replace them with a more "User friendly" pair. But I'd keep the stock "Russian" mufflers for the replacement engines.

And no, I don't have any pics showing the engines without the cowlings. All I've posted have been digitized from film, so I can't whack a picture up quickly, either. I've attached the closest I have, but you can't see much.

If there are still questions, feel free to ask.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67549_18613.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	40778